Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mom's Fishy Birthday Party

So this past weekend, we threw my mom a small surprise birthday party. She is really into fishing so I took that theme and ran with it! Here are some of the projects I did.


Birthday Banner



I set up the outlines of the fish and letters on my computer in Illustrator. I bought kraft cardstock paper from Hobby Lobby, printed the fishies onto the cardstock, and cut all of them out. Then I put two whole punches at the top of the fish, threaded some jute string through, and hung up my banner! I added some bobbers and netting to finish the look. 


Birthday Cake Table 


I recycled table clothes and burlap runners from my wedding, and used them in the dining room for the cake table and outside on the food tables.


I dressed up my chandelier with some net, bobbers, kraft paper fishies and a big bobber.

To make the big bobbers, I bought some paper lanterns, covered part of it with painting tape, then spray painted the tops white.


Kitti helping decorate...



Mini Fishing Poles


I decided it would be fun to have some mini fishing poles to surprise my mom with. I tied little bells at the top of the "pole" with red and white baker's twine for everyone to ring when my mom came through the door. I cut out little fishies (2 per pole) and used double-sided sticky tape to attached it to the twine and the fishies back to back. I finished it off with a tiny bobber.


I think Kitti enjoyed the fishing poles the most....


Fish Cake


I made my mom's favorite chocolate cake for her birthday. But I decided to make in into the shape of a fish this time!

I wanted a basic fish shape, and it was really rather simple to do. I just baked the cake in a 9x13 pan, used a template I made to cut out a fish/oval shape, then used the extra piece to make the fins and tail. Then I covered with yummy frosting and ganache!


Outside Food Tables and Decor

While digging around for my mason jars, I found a few fun fishing items of my husbands: fishing poles, tackle box, a minnow bucket, etc. They helped complete the look!









Mason Jar Fishie Straws



I found some cute paper straws at the store, and decided I needed to put fishies on them! I printed out a bunch of fish, cut slits into them and slid them on to the straws.



Some of these items are on sale in my Etsy Store! Check them out here: 

We definitely surprised my mom and had a good time. I love themed parties and coming up with all the decorations and little details that make it special. I wish I could do it for a living, but I wouldn't know where to start!

Blowing out the candles!


Mother and I with some stinky little kids... her grandchildren/my nephew and nieces: Lucas, Maddie and Natalie



❤ Emily

4 comments:

super creative esp with making fish cake

The Best Casino & Promos - DrMCD
Find 제주도 출장샵 the best casino 제천 출장샵 bonuses & promo codes 익산 출장마사지 of 2021 With the best casino bonuses, it's not 시흥 출장샵 too 목포 출장안마 difficult to find the best casino promo codes for the

This is such an imaginative theme!

Post a Comment