Monday, August 30, 2010

The World of My Creation

Welcome everyone to my new blog
Create. Share. Repeat! 

I tried to start a blog once. I would just write about random stuff in my life... very boring! ;) I didn't think I had anything very interesting to say. Until one day recently I came across a blog that I found fascinating. New Dress A Day is a blog about a girl who is taking 365 days to make 365 dresses with just $365. How neat is that! She is posting her progress on her blog so that world can see what she is up to.

After viewing the New Dress A Day blog, it hit me... Maybe I could post all the projects I do online to share with everyone and try to do a least one project a week! Less than two weeks later, Create. Share. Repeat! is born!

Now in order to explain a bit further about myself and why I have chosen to start this blog, I will copy and paste what I have just written in the "Mission" and "About Emily" Tabs above.

Mission

My goal is to:

Create - I want to use my artistic abilities in different ways! This could be any type of project including but not limited to: Painting, drawing, cooking, baking, photography, graphic design, etc.


Share - After I am finished with a project, I want to share it with you on this web site! And share it with the person I made it for (if that is the case)!


Repeat - I would like to repeat this process at least once a week!


I am always working on a little project, or have one floating around in my head. While some of these projects are for myself, a great sum of them are for the people in my life... whether it is a cake, painting, invitation, etc. I find that nothing brings me more pleasure than making someone happy with the creations I come up with for them!

I believe that this web site will keep me accountable and push me to continuously come up with new ways to use my talents, test new mediums and to share my love of others through my creations.


 About Emily

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together." -The Beatles














My name is Emily, and I was raised near Baton Rouge, LA where I now currently live. I graduated from LSU Baton Rouge in 2007. I received a Bachelors in Studio Art with a concentration in Graphic Design. I currently work for the State Government as a graphic designer.

I think it is so funny when people find out that I can draw, paint, etc. They know I am graphic designer, but they don't realize I am really just an artist stuck at a computer all day! I wanted to be an artist ever since I was a little girl. I got it from watching my family. My mother use to (and still does occasionally) paint beautiful oil paintings of bayou scenes. I still love the smell of oil paint and kneaded erasers. My brother liked to draw. I remember watching him draw a picture out of a book he had, and decided I should try and do that same. I took out my Tweety Bird and Sylvester book, got some paper and a pencil, and started drawing. I was amazed how what I drew looked surprisingly similar to what I saw in the book. I also loved the "zone" you could escape into while you were drawing. Like there is nothing else in the world except you, the paper and the pencil.

I continued drawing throughout my childhood. I never had any proper training until I went to college. I decided to go into graphic design after seeing my brother get his degree in it. I decided it would be the best direction for me as well. I loved art and computers so I figured I might as well put them together and make a career out of it! To study graphic design at LSU, you have to take many art classes. I took drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, printmaking, bookmaking, etc. These classes really helped me to strengthen my talents. It changed the whole way I look at things, and has given me a whole world of possibilities.

Since college, I have continued to try and work on different projects when possible. I am discovering things about myself and my talents.  Here are some examples:

  • I love painting and drawing portraits, but I am kind of scared of doing landscapes!
  • I enjoy painting pottery. I find it makes for great presents!
  • I recently have become interested in cake decorating. I blame Ace of Cakes. GREAT show! It's sculpting with cake!
  • I realized it's hard for me to draw/paint something from my head. I would never be a good cartoonist. ;) But if I am looking at something, I can transfer it from my eyes to my hands to my paper/canvas easily.
  • I realized cooking and baking is an art too. And I am good at those as well!
  • And last but not least, I find that I really find pleasure when I come up with a project for someone other than myself.

Will and I












Besides being an artist, I love spending time with my family, friends and my boyfriend, Will. I have had my ups and downs in life, but I have never been as happy as I am now with Will in my life. (Thank you for all you do, Will. I love you with all my heart, and can't wait to see what other adventures we will go on in years to come!)

I also enjoy playing with my dog, Jack and my cat, Kitti! I love to travel, read, nap, EAT, listen to music, SING and be cheesy.

I love my life. Thank you God for blessing me with such a great one! :)

(Left To Right) Kitti; Katherine, Maddie, Jamie and I; Jack and I; Monica and I with the Naked Cowboy!
I look forward to sharing with everyone what projects I come up with! My project for this week has been THIS BLOG! :) Stay tuned because later this week I plan to post some past projects I have done!

But until then....

Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of
Pure imagination
Take a look
And you'll see
Into your imagination

We'll begin

With a spin
Traveling in
The world of my creation
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

If you want to view paradise

Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing
To it

There is no

Life I know
To compare with
Pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

-Pure Imagination,
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory


-Emily

0 comments:

Post a Comment