Monday, October 10, 2011

Recipe: Cheesy Crawfish Potato Casserole

As a fundraiser for United Way at work, we decided to make a cookbook where employees submit their favorite recipes. Since I am the graphic designer, I am in charge of creating the cookbook. It has been SUCH a fun project so far, and we already have several recipes submitted that I want to try!

I wanted to submit my Cheesy Crawfish Potato Casserole to the book, but I needed to prepare it so I could write it out. I got the perfect opportunity the other day when I wanted to make a dish to bring to my friends, Monica and Josh, after they had their baby. So I made it, wrote it down, and brought it to Monica and Josh's place. Monica has had this dish several times throughout our years of friendship, and she said this batch was the best yet... which means the recipe I wrote down is a winner! :)

This recipe was an original recipe made up by my mom about 10 or so years ago. It started out when she decided to jazz up our baked potatoes for dinner with a yummy, cheesy, spicy crawfish sauce. Oh man, how I LOVED it! I would request it as my birthday meal! Later she converted it into a large casserole to serve at Christmas time.

Since Monica requested I send her the recipe, I decided to post it here for her and for all of you! It is really simple to make, and is SOOOO GOOD. Try it. You'll LOVE it!

Cheesy Crawfish Potato Casserole

Ingredients
4-5 pounds of red potatoes
2-3 tablespoons of Butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
Cajun Seasoning/Salt and Pepper, to taste
1-2 pounds of crawfish tails
1 (10oz) can of Rotel
1 (32oz) block of Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
Wash and peel potatoes (you can keep some skin on if you like). Boil until tender. While boiling potatoes, saute onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add crawfish tails and rotel. Continue sautéing for about 5 minutes or so. Set burner to low and add Velveeta, continuously stirring until cheese is fully melted. Add Cajun seasoning/salt and pepper to taste.

In large pot or bowl, mash potatoes, leaving small lumps. Pour cheese mixture over the potatoes and add the parsley and green onion. Mix together well, then transfer to a large baking pan. Spread shredded cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 20-30, until golden and bubbly.

Enjoy! Let me know how you like it!!

Check out the cover I made for the cookbook. Cute, huh? ;)



❤ Emily

1 comments:

Thanks for sharing this recipe.. I will try this cheesy and spicy Crawfish dish.
Crawfish

Post a Comment