Monday, September 6, 2010

Project of the Week: LSU Football Cake


Victory for LSU!! Yeah... They barely won against North Carolina this past weekend. Lucky!

Since this weekend was the start of college football, I decided to make a LSU football cake. I have to confess that I had some difficulty with the cake. Originally, I intended to make two football cakes. One for Will's friends for the LSU game on Saturday night and one for my father's birthday which was on Labor Day.  Well, I decided I would make the cake from scratch using the Wilton yellow cake mix recipe. It was GROSS. Not only did it burn, it didn't taste right. This is the second time I attempted to make a cake from scratch that turned out to be nasty. Can anyone give me some insight on making cakes from scratch? Maybe someone has a good recipe I can borrow??

So I decided to not make the cake for the Saturday football game. I remade it on Sunday instead for my father's birthday the next day. This time around I used a recipe out of one of my favorite cake recipe books.


This ladies' recipe books are great. She takes a cake mix and adds her own twist to them to make delicious cakes! I have all 4 of her books! For the football cake I used the classic yellow cake mix recipe, but I added my own twist! A can of crushed pineapple!


By the way... before I continue... I would like to thank Will's parents for giving us a Kitchen Aid last Christmas. It is a really nice, heavy duty one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!


I borrowed a football shaped pan from a friend at work to make the work easier on me. Though, if I had to redo it, I would have craved it myself. The cake took a lot longer to bake in the pan than it should have!


Before I put the batter into the pan, I decided I wanted the inside of the cake to be purple and gold tiger striped. I divided the batter in half and dyed the batter with some Wilton icing color.


After it was done baking, I let it cool then set it on a platter and made grass from some shredded coconut and green food coloring.


I used the Wilton buttercream icing recipe and icing colors to make some purple and gold icing for the cake.


Then I started on the fondant work. I bought some new fondant tools to work with! They proved to be a good investment!


I used my new tools (and a x-acto knife) to create the LSU Eye of the Tiger symbol to put on the cake.


I also used fondant to make all the stripes that are on a football.


I was finally able to ice the cake and put on all the fondant pieces!


Final touch was to add a Happy Birthday for my dad!


Today we went to my father's to bbq for his birthday. I surprised him with the cake after we ate! Everyone was happy with the way it came out and the way it tasted too!


Katherine (my sister-in-law/best friend) is working on a project too... In her belly!


Well, now I am done with my first official project for this blog! I was happy with the results. I start cake decorating classes this Thursday. I am excited to start learning even more about cake decorating! I will update later this week on how my first class went!

I also have to start on a new project to post next week! I have a few project ideas, but I am not sure which once I want to do yet! :)

Thanks for reading! I know it was long! Leave contents if you like!

-Emily

6 comments:

oh yea cant wait now to see what else you come up with, love the pics, of my brother!

The cake turned out really well! I do actually have one white cake recipe (I prefer it to yellow cake) that is pretty much a standard for me, if I can find it. The secret is in the sifting and creaming, believe it or not! Before you start anything else, sift the flour, salt, and baking powder (or whatever else the recipe calls for) THREE times, and be SURE to use cake flour! When creaming the butter and sugar, do it for at least 5 to 7 minutes so that it is super light and fluffy, 10 minutes is better. There are other tips, but this comment is too long already. I'll let you know if I can find that recipe! Alternatively, you can cheat by just buying the mix where you will be taking classes! ;P

That cake looked great! Your Dad loves pineapple, so I'm sure he really enjoyed it. Fun blog! (Did Katherine swallow a basketball?) You are baking cakes, and Katherine is baking a baby.

yaaay Emily!! great job on the cake!!!

woow...nice cake. Well done girl ~ Me too, can't wait to see more pics/cakes :P

Post a Comment