Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Project of the Week: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Now when it comes to gumbo, I am a HUGE critic. This is because, as some of you know, my mom makes the BEST gumbo! Her chicken and sausage gumbo is awesome, but nothing compares to her seafood gumbo. I grew up watching her make her gumbos. I taste other gumbo's from restaurants, and they just aren't my mom's! I saw this quote recently, and I couldn't help but think how TRUE it is!!!

"Remember, no matter how far you roam, a little scent of a roux in the air will always remind you there's no place like home." -Louisiana Cookin' Magazine

When I got older, I was determined to be able to make a gumbo as well as my mom's. I think I finally succeeded!  I haven't attempted the famous seafood gumbo yet because it's so expensive to make, but I can do a pretty awesome chicken and sausage gumbo!

We had a gumbo cook off at work, and I knew I HAD to enter! I made a chicken and sausage gumbo. There were 5 volunteer judges, and 5 contestants. I won 2nd! Now... I thought I would be upset that I didn't win first. Since I KNOW my mom's gumbo is the best, and since I can make it now, I think MINE is the best!! ;) But people came back for seconds of mine, and I had some say I should have won! So that made me happy! Plus, the winner had more of a seafood gumbo. I think the shrimp helped her win!

Here are some pictures from the cookoff:

Me sitting with my gumbo

Getting ready to serve!

Gumbo for the judges


Closeup!

My boss eating gumbo :)

So I was going to explain how to create this yummy gumbo of mine, but after much gumbo conversation on Facebook with my family and friends, it has been concluded that I shouldn't give away ALL my secrets! As my mom said, "Just remember, what happens in our kitchens, stays in our kitchens." Fine, fine... Mom, I won't go into detail on how to master your yummy gumbo. I will give a few details and pictures though!!

Ingredients:

Flour
Vegetable oil
Onion
Bellpepper
Celery
Garlic
Chicken Stock
Chicken
Sausage
Parsley
Green Onions
Salt
Pepper
Tony's Creole Seasoning
Garlic Powder
File'

Before I show you my pictures, I needed to make THIS known. I make my roux from scratch. Nothing out the jar. REAL roux. Making a roux is an art. You have to have the right temperature, the right quantities, the right timing. If you make yours from a jar or box or whatever, you may not want to tell me because I will pick on you. Just kidding. :) If I come of snotty about my gumbo, you can blame my mom. It's HER fault! :)

Here are the pictures from my gumbo cooking!

TRINITY! Plus garlic ;)

I love my "chop chop"!

Onions got a bit too intense for my eyes.
I had to put on my awesome, new tiger shades!

Boil that chicken!

And it begins... the ROUX!

Pretty light...

A bit darker...

Darker...

Darker.....

JUST right! (It was a bit darker in person!)

Add those veggies!


Chop that sausage!

Shred that chicken off those bones!

Put everything in a pot.
Let the magic begin!

It all fit perfectly in the crock pot for the gumbo cook off!

MMMM... Guys, it was really good. I think I am doing my mama proud!

Today I have been asked to make a seafood gumbo for my boyfriend's family during our stay in Texas over Thanksgiving. THAT makes me nervous. I feel confident that I can do it though, but I sure do hope it comes out as good as my mom's!

If you have any questions about my gumbo, let me know. I will decide if I will tell you or not! :)

-Emily

1 comments:

Holy cow! Did you use that ENTIRE bulb of garlic? I KNEW there was a reason why I love you to bits! Haha! Your gumbo really was good, though! Better than others I've had. For me to actually LIKE a gumbo is quite a rare event! Great job!

Post a Comment